Fatima Sheikh was an Indian educator and social reformer, who was a colleague of the Jyotirao Phule and Savitiribai Phule (social reformer). She is India’s first Muslim women teacher. On 9 January Google honoured Fatima, a reformer and educationist with a doodle on its homepage on her 191st birth anniversary. In 1840s, there was a access of feudalist and the area was followed by cast system. It was very difficult for a woman to oppose the cast system. Sheikh taught at an All- School for the downtrodden and for women of the society. She faced many hardships and difficulties in her mission but she remain stead-fast and did not close her work.
Many women of India had tried to provide education to the society but all of them could not get the name in the history except Fatima Sheikh. Fatima’s achievements were featured in form of a profile in Urdu Textbooks by the government in 2014. She remained the resolute educator and mentor of her time. Fatima Sheikh and Savitri Phule had set up the first school for the girls in India in the year of 1848 and the school was opened in her house which was also run at her brother Usman Sheikh’s house. Along with education, she also worked for the issues of caste system, Sati, widow remarriage, inter-cast marriage and female empowerment. She fought against the social discrimination and ostracism.
In the face of resistance, she brought the reforms in the different communities of India like Dalit and Muslim women and children. In this regard she was also honoured by a social reformer and first Muslim teacher of India.
She was born of 9th Jan, 1831 in Poona, Maharashtra, India and she lived with her brother Usman Sheikh. Her hometown is also in Poona.
|Full Name||Fatima Sheikh|
|Profession||Social Reformer (Teacher)|
|Date of Birth||9 January 1831|
|Date of expiry||9 October 1990|
|Birthplace||Poona, Bombay, India|
|Hometown||Poona, Maharashtra, India|
|Brother||Main Usman Sheikh|
Facts about Fatima Sheikh
- Fatima is considered the first Muslim teacher and social reformer.
- In pre-India, she worked for the education of downtrodden communities.
- She fought agaist the cast system and faced many hardships but remain stead-fast.
- She is the first lady of India who opened the first school for girls and woman in India on 1848.
- Her brother Usman Sheikh and Savitri Phule also helped her in her mission.
- Fatima achievements were mentioned in Urdu textbooks and also honoured by google.
- Fatima not only worked in education, she also devoted her life to fight against cast system, remarriage and Sati.